Yesterday Sumit was arguing with me about how I am so fickle minded and impulsive. The argument spawned off from me not having left the house all day because I was job hunting and did not feel any motivation to leave the couch. This usually spirals into a depressing session of self loathing, sarcasm, complete indifference and impulsive statements.
So many people told me "oh you are quitting your job, thats so wonderful! Now you can do all the things you wanted to do but never had time for." Thats not really true. When you have all the time in the world but no work it also means you have no money to spend on whims and fancies. So you try to do whatever you can with the resources in hand. One morning I am studying Arabic and on another morning I am looking through GRE questions. One day I am resolved to finish my video journal while another I am just in the mood to watch sitcoms. Somehow nothing seems to engage me long enough. Maybe because these arent meant to be full time activities.
Its not my fault that I am stuck in a country where medical research is unheard of. Doctors find it amusing that they have to look at things beyond jus treating their patients. There is jus so much money thrown around that they can just buy an existing research facility instead of bothering with it.
4 comments:
I think we all frequently underestimate the magnitude of sacrifice involved in moving to a whole new country to be with our spouses. We also really, REALLY underestimate the importance of being employed - it's largely cultural programmingand it's completely retarded.
Being employed not only means you have a steady paycheck of your own, it also means you get up and get out of the house every single day. You make an effort to look good. You see other adults with whom you have a lot in common. At the end of the day you have the satisfaction of having earned some money, if not accomplished something really worthwhile.
Most importantly for people who have moved to a whole new country, you become part of a community instantly, with access to office gossip, lunchbreak chatter and office social events.
*hugs* All I can tell you is to keep job hunting 24/7 - treat THAT as your fulltime job, and don't get distracted by video journals or even GRE prep (do that in your "free" time). Good luck!
Thanks dear, that was very aptly put.. this is the same thing I have been trying to tell but no one seems to listen when I say it..
not being employed for the 2nd time in the same country jus makes it so much worse..the first time I came unknowingly..but now I jus feel stupid that I agreed to return here
I am also unemployed and as I see the economy, I will remain like this for long time. But this life is starting to be quite fun with all this free time.. :))
Post a Comment