Almost everyone I knew told me that once I learn how to drive in
The truth was half the time I din understand what the instructor was saying. For example his classic statement would me “ Hume hai na….ki ..err..aagewale ko bhi bachana hai…aur pechewale…err per bhi dyaane dena hai….err aur side main jo hai…us per bhi nazar dal na hai….hmmm” (It translates to ‘We should look out for the person in front of us, and behind us and on both sides of us’….with many pauses). He would insist that I reserve by turning my head and looking behind, while Sumit would tell me to just use the mirror to reverse.
There were times when I felt that driving was less scary than riding and there were times I felt that riding was so much easier than driving. Especially because there was a family of water buffaloes, who everyday chose the same time to go on a walk as I would back my scooter out. The very first day Sumit was teaching me to ride a scooter; there I am trying to balance, when bang in the middle of the road there were 3 buffaloes chewing away blocking every inch of the road. This meant I had to go between them and that was not something I could handle, cos I thought I was gonna jus crash into them. So I did the first thing that came to my mind; let go of the handles, close my eyes, curled up and screamed. Thank God for Sumit’s long limbs, his hands were able to reach for the handles from the back and manage the scooter.
There was another time, about a week later, when on a road that was wide enough for one car to pass, two cars tried to cross with me in the centre on my scooter. By this time, I was more used to this kinda craziness, so I tried to not panic, but as soon as the cars had passed, I went and parked in the corner to ‘calm my nerves’.
Now when I go to
But driving, that is a different thing altogether. I still can’t drive in
Till I came to
Its become like a trend, you honk at people to say ‘you are wasting my time, get out of my way’. Hell you get honked at even when its not your fault and the other person is wrong.You are new to a certain area, and you are driving slow, you try to keep to the corner lanes, so you can get a better view of the road names. All of a sudden you hear a startling ‘honk’ that makes you jump. The rest of the road would be free but noooo, he has decided to drive on that lane and you are blocking the road.
Roundabouts are something
I feel like there is so much built up frustration when I drive, which I worry will one day come out with me banging into someone’s car if they come into my lane.
No comments:
Post a Comment