Saturday, November 26, 2005

All in a Nights work

Its 2 am in the morning and I am sitting in office, waiting for another colleague to show up to start work.Working in the IT department of a Bank means every now and then I need to go back to work during weekends and at odd hours of the day. Every once in a while, there will be some application or platform upgrade or data migration requiring me to work during the night.Although a lot of my colleagues hate this, I personally enjoy them.Why?

The very first time I was working in the night, (although I wasnt involved in the project, I had volunteered to come and observe what was happening out of pure enthusiasm) it was real fun. There were only a handful of us in the entire office. We had ordered pizzas and of course work was not through out the night, it was in burts so we would end up chit-chatting and laughing. We have a television in one of the meeting rooms.During that time, the Olympics was going on.Of course the project manager would still be running around trying to make sure everything was going smoothly.

Overall, the whole atmosphere was different from the way we worked during the day, where most of us are running around trying to keep up with workload and rush from one project meeting to the next.Of course occasionally a few of us would end up chattin when we bump into each other in the pantry but that wouldnt last very long.On the other hand, during the night, there was hardly any hurry and no place to go, you definitely get to see a different side of them.

I got to know a lot of my colleagues better thanks to these occasional 'night shifts', and over the last year I have actually started looking forward to them more.

No comments: