Monday, October 31, 2005

Diwali

I remember, as a kid I used to be so sad every year that I couldnt burst crackers for Diwali in Singpore and I would wish that I was in India.As I grew older and realised the whole child labour aspect of the cracker making industry, I lost interest in bursting crackers.But I still wished I was back in India, where every street would be colourfully done and the festive mood would be in the air and smiling faces. Just being there would be enough to make one feel on top of the world.Such a country it is.

This year was no different, until the Delhi bombings.I feel so sad that we are just only recovering from the devastations of the tsunami that hit last year and the earthquake that shook India and Pakistan and then the bombings.How many people would have gone to the market to buy new clothes for their kids or sweets for the family and never came back.

Any one can argue that 'Well so many people die in India daily, no one ever hears of them.' But still, just because of that I cant pretend that after knowing that innocent lives have been taken, its all alright because many people die daily.

Anyways, I have decided to have a quiet Diwali this year. Maybe just spend a little time with family and friends.

Wishing everyone out there A Happy and Prosperous Diwali.

No comments: