Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Mind your Manners

On my way to work, I was waiting to get into a very crowded bus. In the middle of the sleepy school children and the early shift office goers, there was a short and frail grandma, trying to hold on to the railing as tightly as she could as she was having difficulty in standing and holding her balance. Behind me a grandpa was trying to find railings to hold on to while the bus jostled us at every traffic signal. Right in front of me there was a board that said "These green seat are for YOU, the elderly..etc". On the green seats were secondary school children, listening to music and completely ignoring the people who may need the seat. When I glanced to the back of the bus, the back seats were filled with mainly young adults. Yet no one seemed to want to offer their seats, or even attempt to do so. When time came for grandma to get off the bus, she found herself caught between a lady and the railing. After her few gestures to indicate to the lady that she needed to get off, the lady shot her a look 'Ask the railing to move instead of disturbing me' and very reluctantly moved, making poor grandma stumble her way to the exit.

When I got off the bus, the man who got down before me, started spitting on the road. Not once but thrice and he could not be bothered if it was the road or someone's shoes. Then it came to the pedestrian crossing and car drivers giving me the dirty look 'right, now I have to wait for YOU to cross', even when it my right of way.

I know that courtesy does not come naturally in Singapore for a lot of people, forcing the government to run courtesy campaigns to remind people of it. I feel very sad. Compared to 5-8 years ago, I see more fancy cars on the road, people living in more expensive condos and carrying more brands on them. What is the use when manners and etiquette are still missing.

1 comment:

Florence Craye said...

I've told off teenagers on the train and bus and made them give up their seats for elderly and pregnant women. You should too. I realized that Singaporeans dislike being in the limelight. So if you ask them nicely and they know they're in the wrong, they'll do anything to prevent confrontation. So do it.